Monday, September 15, 2008

Pho to the Ramen.

I was craving for food the other day, mostly for pho. There were a couple of places around Worcester, but my friends didn't want to go there, but I just think they were afraid of trying something new that they might not like. So that's quite understandable. We ended up going to a "Chinese" buffet. (-___- )

So I got back to the apartment with my hopes almost shattered. Then I thought of noodle soups... and ramen. The one thing I had. But of course, it's not as good as the authentic stuff.
http://chubbyhubby.net/blog/?p=533

But I do have a recipe for an-OK ramen meal.


Derek's "Healthy"-Alternative to Ramen:

Ingredients:
-your favorite instant noodle package
-one jumbo sized egg
-nappa cabbage or kimchi
-meat (chicken/beef strips/cold cuts/fish sticks)

Steps:
First you will need to soften the noodles. Boil your water and then when it comes to a boil, place the noodles in. Let it sit for about 2-3 minutes depending on how soft you want the noodles. Now hold up there! I see what you are doing! Don't put in that soup base yet.

So, did you know that the ramen noodles contain palm oil? This type of oil is one of the cheaper alternatives to vegetable oil, and it is also unhealthier too. So what you do now, pour the noodles onto a strainer so that most of the oil washes out. Then rinse the noodles under cold water for about 5 seconds.

Next, the soup base. Boil up another pot of water. When it comes to a rumbling boil, place the soup base contents in but don't put all of it in. The soup base is what contains most of the MSG so for this "healthy"-alternative, use 3/4's of the package.

Now that the soup is ready, it's time for the good stuff. Crack the egg and drop it into the boiling soup. Try not to puncture the yolk so that you can soft-boil the egg. Try to prevent the egg from sticking to the bottom of the pot by gently stirring the egg. Then after the whites turn white and the yolk starts to solidify a little, add the cabbage and the meat. Cover for 20-30 seconds.

Then just put the noodles into your bowl, and pour the soup medley into the bowl.



Yum. Now go enjoy knowing that you have a "healthy"-alternative. This may just add a couple of minutes to your life. Don't waste these minutes as life isn't like Cingular/AT&T.

No comments: