Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Things I learned at College #3

3) MMORPGs are very, very addictive.

It was the beginning of sophmore year at WPI. Everything was moved in. Caught up with my roommate and met the new housemates. Now we just needed something to pass the time. So my roommate and I decided to play some multiplayer computer games. His brother had started playing a game called Rappelz. Rappelz was like a cheap version of World of Warcraft. It was free and it was not held to high standards. We started to play this silly game.

It's strange how I ended up playing that so much. I always mocked WoW and how the people who played it were sucked into playing. Now, I was slowly becoming one of them... well except that I didn't have to pay the monthly fee (so go asian me!).

I admit, I met some cool people through the game. But in terms of time, this thing sucks it all up. I started to think that the game was real more and more. It's like living through a character that you have created.

My advice:
Stay clear of them! There are many ways to meet people and to have fun, but do it through a school club. These games are massive time-suckers. I better way to pass time is to be more involved in school and their activites. It would look a lot better on a resume to be a part of an acapella group than to be a guild member on a WoW server.

No comments: