This motto stuck with me through my time at BC High (BC Low, that's where all the scholars go). Being a man to serve others. Now that I think about it, I seem to have experienced this "man for others" mentality even before I went there.
It was Summer of 2002. I was trekking for two weeks with my fellow scouts on the montanas de New Mexico. Philmont, which was the most amazing experience of my scouting years, was packed first-times, fun and sweat. I remember when I first heard of how the bathroom situation worked.
Sure I've been camping many times before this trip, but I never really had to worry about the #2 situation because normally there is a flush toilet somewhere, maybe a porta-potty, or at very least a latrine. Upon arriving, I learned that there was a latrine which was like the flush toilets of Philmont... and then, there were what we called "bombardier boxes." These were just wooden boxes with holes in them, which are normally placed in awkward open spaces.
Anyways, so on our trip, we tend to have a certain supply of toilet paper that we carry around for the whole group. We were running low at one point of the trip and unfortunately I was put in a bad situation. I was first to go bombardiering and there was another guy who needed to go after me. When I pulled out the TP, I realized that there were only 6 sheets left. Keep in mind, these aren't those Charmin Triple Ply ones. These were the generic one ply things of crap. The ones that shred when wet.
So normally I would prepare a barrier between me and the wooden... uh, I guess it's a seat. I was forced to compromise that. Next I had to decide...
To be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment