Monday, February 22, 2010

Things I learned at College #2

2) Don't leave the stove unattended.

Quite honestly, this was actually a second lesson to me. The first lesson actually yielded worse results. But I'm just going to explain the college version.

It was my freshman year. I was preparing to cook ramen noodles so I pulled out of the housemate's metallic water-boiling pots. I put water in the pot, set it on the stove, and set the stove to high. While waiting for the water to boil I got bored. So I went upstairs to check out what my roommate was doing. I mean, as long as I go back downstairs in 5 minutes, it would be ok... right?

Upon entering the room, my roommate was watching a movie. Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Uhhh... interesting choice, but out of boredom I watched it. I watched it. I WATCHED IT?! I can't believe that I had already forgotten that I was boiling water. Short-term memory much?

I continued watching for about 15 minutes, when there was a scene where a house was on fire. Hmm... something just sparked in my mind. But what? Wait a second. OH MAN! The boiling water!

I ran down the stairs almost falling on the last steps. I rushed into the kitchen. I immediately turned off the stove and tried to move the pot to the sink. One problem. The plastic handle had began to melt and slid on the pot. Wow, Derek. Wow. So I grabbed a large cloth and quickly tossed the pot into the sink. This was when I realized the pot had changed colors. It became a tarnished copper color as opposed to the original shiny metallic pot it was before my incident. Epic fail.

So in the end, I ended up needing to replace the housemate's pot and I learned how forgetful I am if I don't write down sticky notes to myself.

No comments: