I am a snob.
At work this past week, I was outside in the Roxbury area. I was standing outside in the shade to avoid the direct sunlight. A man came up to me and he asked me, "Can I bum a fag off ya?"
At that moment, I sort of grinned. It wasn't a grin of "Sure, here you go!" It was a grin of... snobbery, if I can call it that. It was like a grin of "Of course not!" It was a feeling of thinking that I was better than him. Better that I did not smoke. Better that I was wise with my money. Better that I was smarter...
Me: I'm sorry, I don't smoke.
Him: Oh, I don't smoke either.
Me: Oh.... okay...
I am definitely not a smoker, and I don't see myself becoming a habitual smoker in the future. But after I walked away, I had this feeling that I was better than him. But really, am I that much better than him?
Help me to be more understanding, rather than judging at first sight.
No comments:
Post a Comment