Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thank you.

While looking for creations by Jaeson Ma, I found this.




There are two ways to say thank you in Chinese. There is "Dou Jae" and "Mm Goi." I remember when I was younger, I would always confuse the two. My relatives would laugh at what I said, and I thought it was just me being funny. Hahaha. So my mother told me a really good way to remember the difference. Oh... then again, it's a lot cooler in Cantonese because it actually rhymes. But anyways! This is the translated version:

"Mm Goi is when someone does something for you. Dou Jae is when someone gives you something."

Mm Goi would be used in a situation where you would expect someone to do something for you. For example, if you are buying food from a cafeteria, and the cashier hands you the change, you would use "mm goi." You are expecting the cashier to give you back the change, so to show respect, you would say "mm goi." Unless they just take your money. Then you don't say mm goi but say "I challenge you to a duel!" [slaps cashier with glove]


Dou Jae would be used if someone does something for you that you didn't expect, like getting a surprise gift. For example, if you get a flat tire and didn't know how to replace the tire and you didn't have smartphone to look it up. =( Then someone stops their car next to you and helps you to change your tire. You would say "dou jae." It was an unexpected act from someone, an act that was even undeserved.

Much respect to MC Jin for using "Dou jae" in the right way. [pumps right fist to chest]

No comments: