Monday, June 14, 2010

Green... with Envy (and Celtic Pride)

What would it be like if I grew up with Christian parents?

Would I have come to accept Christ a lot sooner? Would it have been easier for them to understand why I wanted to serve at Project Destiny? Would my spiritual life have been more stable?

There were many questions and there was much jealousy. Quite honestly, I was a bit envious of my friends who had Christian parents. Their Sundays would involve the whole family going together to church. Whereas for me, it would be me going alone. I would see those families and could not help but think, why not me? It was a bit difficult to be praising God with these questions in the back of my mind.

Would having Christian parents make them more understanding if their son wanted to serve the poor? At times, my parents would have thought that I served at PD for the fun of it. My experience there really showed me what it meant to serve with your heart and how I could serve just the Chinatown community in the smallest ways. It did spark an interest to teaching perhaps?

I've come to realize that I am satisfied with what I have been given. Being raised by Christian or non-Christian parents may have some differences, but the longing for something to fill a person's heart is still the same. It is just nurtured differently. Even with Christian parents, it does not mean that there would be all hugs, love, and understanding. There is a lot of misunderstandings that go on in every single family and I am not alone in this.

I am thankful that God has brought me back to him, through my family, friends, and the community of BCEC.

As I ask those questions up above, I realize that those questions could really go the other way too. For example, maybe someone would grew up Christian all their life would have made it harder for them to accept Christianity. So, I wonder if those who grew up with Christian parents would agree.



And on a side note..

No comments: